Online Dating Safety Tips
Helpful tips to follow so you can have a safe, exciting and enjoyable dating experience.
Dating is exciting and dating online is even more exciting because you have a greater chance at meeting more people than you could on your own. Since this is so, to assure you’re meeting the right people it is important to know how to safely and securely communicate with other members.
With anything you do in life your safety should always be your top priority and this is especially so with meeting and interacting with anyone you meet online. Finding Amoré follows proper protocol to protect our members but we do not, however, provide background checks on any of our members. With this it is your responsibility to keep your safety as a top priority when meeting members online and offline. We urge you to take the time to read the helpful tips we outlined below and require that you follow them at all times.
Keep your identity and personal information private
Keep Your Identity Private and Always Protect Your Password
When you create a profile on Finding Amoré any information you provide us is always kept private and secure. Therefor, you should act in the same fashion with your personal information. We recommend you never provide your last name, your birth date, your place of work, contact information or any other identifying information in your profile or in any initial communications.
We recommend you upload original photos and not photos you were tagged in on social media sites. If you do upload photos you were tagged in you are aware that your identity can be found by an online search of the photo. You can do this search yourself for each photo you want to use. Simply copy and paste your photo into Google images and see if you get back any results, with your personal information attached. If you do, you know you can be tracked and you know not to use it.
You may also want to make your social media accounts private and not have them public. Having them public will allow other people to search you and have access to your personal information listed on the social sites.
Always create a strong password with at least one capital letter, lower case letters, numbers and symbols, never share your password and keep your password in a safe place. If you access your account from a public or shared computer use caution so that no one can view, access or record your password or personal information.
Never include your home number, your work number, your cell phone number, your personal email address or any other contact information in your profile.
Never provide or offer your last name, home number, your work number, your cell number, your personal email address or any other identifiable information with any and all initial communications.
Your online dating experience is in your control at all times, so remain anonymous until you are ready to do otherwise.
Back to Top
Communicating with members and assessing your relationships
Communicating with Members
First communicate through Finding Amoré before contacting another user by phone, through your social media accounts or your personal email. Always learn as much as you can about someone, assess the relationship, act with caution and always put your safety first. You may consider creating an anonymous email address for all your external communications; that does not have your name, your birth date or any other identifiable information.
Take Things Slow ~ There’s No Rush
Excitement may run high when you meet someone you’re attracted to physically and/or intellectually and this may cloud your judgement. Always take things slow to get to know him or her before ever sharing your complete identity or personal information.
If You Feel The Need To Do Research
If you feel that doing research on someone you’re interested in will help you make an informed decision to continue further communications then you have the choice to do so. Doing such research may help with deciding if him or her is someone you really want to meet, or take the time to get to know. You can try to see if someone you’re interested in is on various social media sites. You can also go a step further and do an online web search to see if you come up with any records listed, you can use government resources that are publicly available and there’s also paid services to utilize. This may help ease any concerns you have since FINDING AMORÉ DOES NOT ROUTINELY SCREEN OUR MEMBERS, RUN BACKGROUND CHECKS OR INQUIRE INTO OUR MEMBERS BACKGROUND, ATTEMPT TO VERIFY INFORMATION PROVIDED BY OUR MEMBERS, OR CONDUCT ANY CRIMINAL SCREENINGS OF OUR MEMBERS. FINDING AMORÉ RESERVES THE RIGHT, IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION, TO CONDUCT THESE INQUIRIES OR SCREENINGS AND MAY INCLUDE THE SEARCH OF ANY SEX OFFENDER REGISTRIES. YOU ALSO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT FINDING AMORÉ IS UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO CONDUCT ANY SUCH INVESTIGATIONS.
- NEVER send money to anyone you meet online, especially by wire transfer. If you wire money to anyone you have no protections against loss, because wiring money is like sending cash. If someone is going to ask you for money, for ANY reason, that is a major red flag on their character and you should report them to Finding Amoré immediately, and if you feel it’s necessary to law enforcement also. There is absolutely no reason for someone to ask you for money or for any of your financial or personal information.
- Keep your bank information, credit cards and any other financial information private. Also, never talk about how much money you have.
- DO NOT share your personal information such as your SSN, mothers maiden name or any other identifiable information.
Report Then Block Suspicious Users
Back to Top
Create appealing videos while still protecting your identity
Creating videos is a fun way to let people see you in action expressing your personality, your likes and your interests. However, you do not want to reveal any personal information in your video. That includes, but is not limited to, any personal information that may be present in your background or on yourself. We’ve compiled a list of Do’s and Don’t s for you to consider when creating your videos.
- Create a new YouTube account to be used solely for uploading your videos to FindingAmore.net. Also, use a ficticious first and last name and email address when creating your YouTube account so your identity is protected. Refer to the instructional videos on your Video page.
- Show members your personality, what your interests are and have fun doing it.
- Create videos in well lit places so they are easily viewable.
- Stand in your video or walk around so that you are showing members the total you, and that you have nothing to hide.
- Take a video while doing something you love. Whether it’s gardening, fishing, skiing, reading a good book, golfing, walking the dogs, etc.
- Got a GoPro? That’s even better for you can be creative with your videos.
- Upload a video you just created and not one already on a social site.
- Make your videos about you, since you are the one looking for that special someone.
- Show people your quirks and flaws. No one is perfect and finding someone that accepts all of you is ideal.
- Do not use a preexisting YouTube account and do not use videos that you’ve uploaded to any social site.
- Don’t try to hide your body or only show yourself from your shoulders up. If you do this people may think you have something to hide or you’re trying to be deceitful concerning your body type.
- Do not create a video that identifies where you live, work or congregate or where your friends or family members live, work or congregate.
- Make sure there is nothing in the background that can identify you, your family or friends.
- If you are going to create a video while outside your home, friends or families home or place of work make sure there’s no identifiable information in the video.
- It’s recommended that you do not upload a video that was on one of your social sites. Unless you don’t care if someone takes frames from that video and does a search on the internet, to find out personal information on you.
- Do not act as someone you’re not, pretend you are someone you’re not or try to impersonate another person.
- Do not have your children or anyone’s children in the video. Children should not be seen by anyone you’re thinking of getting to know.
- If you create a video standing by your or a family or friends vehicle do not have the vehicles license plate or any other identifiable information in the video.
- This should be another paragraph and NO bullet from here down. (Keep space)
- To report a member simply click on the sad face inside any of their videos or pictures and anywhere they’ve posted in the forums, and select your reason. To block a member simply click on the block icon in a message they sent you or go to your profile, click on the gear wheel, select edit profile, scroll down to “Block User” and type in their username.
Back to Top
You’re safety should be your top priority
This is an exciting time and can be a nervous time for you, in taking that next step in a relationship. After all you’re meeting someone in person, that you’ve been communicating with on Finding Amoré, for the first time. We are happy for you and want you to be safe and comfortable. Here are do’s and don’t s we’ve compiled for you to consider.
- Always let your friends and/or family know where you’re going, who you’re going with and when you’ll be home.
- If your plans change tell someone.
- Use your own transportation to and from your date. If you are taking public transit make sure you have money and a planned route there and home.
- Meet in a public place that will have lots of people around.
- Meet in a well lit public place that you are familiar with.
- Watch your alcohol intake and never leave your drink unattended.
- When ordering a drink order it directly from your server or bartender.
- Keep your personal belongings (phone, wallet, keys, pocket book) with you at all times.
- If you feel uncomfortable at any time don’t hesitate to excuse yourself and leave.
- Make sure you have your cell phone and it’s fully charged.
- Arrange for a friend or family member to call to check on you, and agree on a code word or phrase if you’re in need of help. And make sure to contact them when the date is over.
- Some of you may agree to date someone that warrants you to travel far away. If you do please take into account some safety concerns and keep the following tips in mind.
- Stay in your own hotel room, keep your hotel location private and do not agree to stay at their home. The person you’re meeting should respect your privacy until you know each other. If you can’t afford your own hotel room you should not be going.
- If you have to fly into your dates area get a taxi or a rental car to take you to and from the airport, your hotel room and your date. Having your own ride is important and even more important not to get into a car with someone you don’t really know.
- Have fun, be aware and try not to be nervous.
- “Emphasis” Do not go on a date without telling someone where you’re going, who you’ll be with and when you’ll be home.
- Do not let your date pick you up at your house and know where you live.
- Don’t go somewhere that you frequent. But go somewhere that you’re familiar with and feel safe.
- Do not agree to a date at there home, hotel room or any other private place.
- Do not let your date get you a drink on their own. This is important to assure nothing has been put in your drink.
- Do not go anywhere where you won’t have cellular connection or access to a phone.
- Do not leave personal items unattended.
- Do not allow your date to pressure you to stay, go somewhere or do something you’re not comfortable with.
- Do not return home without letting someone know you’re home safe.
Back to Top
This will help you to identify possible scams and know when to report suspicious activity.
Everyone would like to believe that whom they’re speaking to is someone sincere. Unfortunately that is not always the case and you need to be aware of behavior to look for, to know if someone is trying to scam you. This will not only help you on our site but may help you when interacting on other sites and with people you meet while out and about on a daily basis.
Finding Amoré cares very much for our community and we believe in implementing fraud detection systems to protect you. However, even though we put these measures in place we need your help!
Below is a list of some examples of scamming behavior. If you experience any of this behavior we ask that you stop communication, report him or her to Finding Amoré immediately and block them. To report a member simply click on the sad face inside any of their videos or pictures and anywhere they’ve posted in the forums, and select your reason, or email us directly at Report@FindingAmore.net. To block a member simply click on the block icon in a message they sent you or go to your profile, click the gear wheel, click edit profile, scroll down to Block User and type in their username.
- Asks you for money or your financial information for any reason. Most common reasons for asking for money or your financial information is
- Medical emergencies or expenses of any kind
- They’re in distress
- Needing to release their money from another institution
- Hotel bills
- Hospital bills for a child or other relative
- Visas or other official documents
- Losses from a temporary setback
- To tie someone over after a mugging or robbery
- Asking you for a favor by making an online purchase
- Asking you to forward a package to another address or country
- Contacts you from another country or says they’re from your country but stuck in another country and needs funds to get home.
- Refuses or makes excuses for why they can’t meet you or talk on the phone.
- Right away making claims of being in love with you, talks of destiny or fate or pushes you for a serious relationship and isn’t willing to get to know you or meet you in person first.
- Asking for your address because they want to send you flowers or gifts.
- Right away pressuring you for your personal information. Such as your phone number, email, home address, place of work or financial information.
- Right away asking you to communicate through another means outside of Finding Amoré. Some examples are messaging, texting, calling, another site like social media, etc.
- Claims of being recently widowed.
- Makes an enormous amount of spelling and/or grammar errors.
- Vanishes from the site, then reappears under a new name.
- Not paying attention, forgetting what they said, claiming they never said things they have, repeating themselves, dodging your questions and not providing answers or replies to your messages seem off topic.
- Trying to sell you something or offering you a job.
- Trying to get you to check out or go to another website or a pornographic site.
Remember, it is your responsibility to keep yourself safe online and it should always be your top priority. If you allow yourself to be scammed your money will be gone with no means of finding the person who took it. Be smart and always question someone who is asking you for anything but your time.
Back to Top
You can learn more helpful tips on keeping yourself safe while dating online or through all your cyber encounters.
You’ll find more information concerning the following:
- How to recognize a scam artist
- What can you do about it and places to report scams and fraud
National Cyber Security Alliance
Back to Top